How to tell which plants are poisonous

If you have ever gone on a hiking trip, you may have run across some plants and flowers that you have never seen before. Hopefully, the story ended there for you, and you did not have any allergic reactions to these unknown plants. Sometimes, you end up touching or ingesting a plant you thought was safe, only to be overcome by nausea or other medical issues that cut your fun trip short. To be well informed about the vast world of flowers and other plants, you should learn about the most common poisonous plants and how to avoid them, or maybe treat them if you notice them too late.

Hyacinth and Narcissus (also known as Daffodil)

Sadly, the first items on the list of most common poisonous vegetation are pretty flowers like hyacinth and narcissus, which is also known as daffodils. The bulbs of these flowers, if ingested, can cause nausea and vomiting, as well as diarrhea. You should also know that eating these bulbs could kill you. You may confuse the daffodil bulb for an onion, so be sure that you are ingesting what you think you are, or you may end up getting very ill.

Hydrangea

Some people like the hydrangea flower for wedding flower arrangements. If they knew that eating these blooms could cause a stomach ache, itchy skin, and vomiting, they might think twice about having them anywhere near kids that might be attending the wedding. It is possible for the hydrangea to cause someone to become comatose or experience convulsions. The good news is that there is a hydrangea poisoning antidote, so get thee to a doctor right away if you have mistakenly eaten this flower.

Oleander

Beware the oleander plant and stay far away from it. Every single bit of oleander is poisonous, from the leaves to the stamen and everything in between. Even if you happen to be around when someone burns oleander, you can get sick from inhaling the smoke it produces. Do not even consider using the stem or stick of an oleander to roast your marshmallows, because you will most certainly suffer a reaction to the flower’s poison. It is best to stay away from these flowers because you will have to likely get your stomach pumped or induce vomiting, which is no fun at all.

Rosary Pea

If you come across something that looks like a little red berry with a black painted hat, run the other way. This plant is called the rosary pea, and eating just one of these berries can kill you. In some parts of Africa, the rosary peas are used to create rosaries and necklaces, but keep in mind that they are still fatal even in this form.

Mistletoe

The Christmas season usually brings thoughts of presents and trees and hanging the mistletoe in an inconspicuous spot. However, consider getting plastic mistletoe this year instead. If a child or an adult eats the berries of the mistletoe, they can die. Mistletoe can be a lovely tradition, but just keep in mind its toxic properties if you decide to purchase fresh mistletoe.

 

 

 

My sister just found out about this site by the way. But she’s going to this spa in Colorado springs this week, so she thinks she is going to yell at me when she gets back. I don’t think she is actually going to end up caring.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation